I finished the fair isle yoke pullover after a marathon knitting session on Sunday. It's still on the mat undergoing a vigorous blocking, and I won't be at home during daylight to photograph anything for the rest of the week (pesky job), so pictures will have to wait. I'm dying to see if the blocking will change the negative ease to positive. Otherwise I'm going to be very self conscious about my bosom every time I wear the pullover. There's tons of yarn left from the yoke pattern. That will be more than enough for a baby blanket for KE's cousin's baby if I can work out the crochet pattern I've been looking at. I'm a bit rusty!
The plan was to deconstruct the black thrift store sweater after work, but it isn't dry yet so I was forced (forced, I tell you) to start knitting Miss Honeychurch with the thrifted green cotton yarn. I had planned on knitting a large, but then I discovered that the neck opening would be way too big, so I ripped out the two inches I had and cast on for a medium instead. I figure I can just increase up to the number of stitches needed for the large at the bust. I feel like I have so much more control over the shaping when doing a top down raglan. I may add some waist shaping, though I'll have to look more closely at the way the increases are written in the pattern, since it's designed to be a kind of a-line shape. I think I got about 4 inches of the yoke done with the first skein of yarn. I really have no idea whether I'll have enough to complete it, but that's apparently part of the challenge of upcycling. It is possible to calculate the yardage, of course, but we don't have a scale that will work for that. Since the color and yarn are so evocative of spring (and since I'm taking a big risk on the yardage) I've called it "hope springs eternal" on my Ravelry project page. Can't help dreaming about spring and summer here in the ice and snow of a Norwegian January.
As for the black thrift sweater, I'm pretty sure I'm going to make a Norah Gaughan oversized guernsey pullover (Ravelry link) out of the yarn I harvest from it. It will be something like the sixth or seventh time I've knitted the pattern over the past 20 years. It's the only sweater I've ever worn out, and I have three times had it virtually ripped off my body by someone close to me who coveted it (hence the multiple versions)!
I'm happy to report that work was fun today, even the onerous parts. So I think I must be over last week's pity party and back on track.
1 comment:
I really like the top down approach to knitting. I seem to have better success. I think it would be the way to go with your upcycle projects. Glad you are over your wee cry!
Post a Comment