Friday, April 1, 2011

Stygg som juling?

This week I finally did something I've been dying to do for a really long time, namely go to a Zumba class. As a middle-aged and highly sedentary person, I really need to get moving. I have a past as an active salsa dancer, but since my courting days are over it's not really an option any more. I also am a person who hates "working out," so a normal "spinning" or aerobics class is right out. But Zumba is really more like dancing than working out. The mother of one of E's friends happened to mention that she was going later on the evening I picked him up at their house, so I jumped at the opportunity and went too.  It was the most fun I've had so far this year! I'll be going every Wednesday for the rest of the spring and hoping that the instructor offers it twice a week in the fall...

Even though I'm not quite done with the Cowl Vest, I couldn't resist getting started with the Noro Silk Garden yarn. First I had to wind it into balls to see how many knots it has. Noro is notorious for knots and it really kinds of matters if one is trying to control the variegation in a pattern. This is what twelve balls looked like after winding, and as I later discovered, I missed a few knots.


I decided pretty quickly that I wanted to make Francis Revisited again, since it's a really good fit and a very quick knit. My plan was to knit stripes of two rows each, and I had visions of it being spectacularly beautiful, given the colors in the yarn. Unfortunately, so far I think it's what my Grannie would call "as ugly as home made sin." See below:


One of the things about Noro, however, is that sometimes the whole effect turns out kind of fantastic, even if the details aren't so great. So after putting it away for a couple of days and pulling it out again, I've decided that I'm going to keep going for a while longer, just to see if maybe it gets a little better. Otherwise, I suppose I could start over with two other balls and hope that it turns out better, but there's no guarantee...

No comments: