I was really moved to see them. KE's mother died in 1970, so he doesn't have many memories of her. In photographs she is quite lovely, with a charming cleft chin that E has inherited. I love seeing her handiwork in these mail holders. Check out the detail of the heart basket:
Clearly she was a patient woman! She was ill most of her life--she had polio and died of a rare form of blood cancer. Apparently she had to undergo a major operation while KE was in the womb--something about her intestines becoming twisted. As the story goes they had to lift the fetus in the womb out of her abdomen to complete the procedure. I want to find out as much as I can about her while all her siblings are alive and able to communicate (a brother and three sisters are still doing very well).I've been knitting up a storm as usual. I wonder when this knitting jag is going to end? First up is a very simple lace scarf for Grannie for Christmas:
You can't go wrong with a lace pattern that has only one pattern row! I did a sloppy job on the blocking--it's much narrower at one end than the other--but it is quite lovely and a good use for the angora yarn I received in the Ravelry swap I participated in.Next up is the heavy sweater coat I promised my Mom. We picked out the yarn while she was here. Since it's super bulky weight it goes really fast. This is the last two days of evening tv-knitting:
Not much to look at I'm afraid. The color is very washed out in the snapshot (darned flash). It's a very rich coppery color that has a hint of green in it--very cool.We have some last minute Christmas shopping to do today, plus we need to get a tree. Otherwise we have all the food for Christmas Eve dinner. We're thrilled that the solstice is here and that the days will be getting longer and lighter. It is just so dark right now, even as far south in Norway as we are.
No comments:
Post a Comment