Saturday, April 28, 2012

Black & Blue

Had to give this post an English title, since the Norwegian equivalent (mørkbanket) doesn't have the appropriate color associations. As you'll see from the pictures, there was a definite color trend today...

First off, I'm going great guns on the French Nautical Scarf:
I'm really excited about how it's turning out, and how I'll finally be able to get this yarn from 2008 out of my stash. Despite the small needles and fine yarn it's going pretty fast. Though I have to admit, that big ball of black yarn really doesn't look like it's getting any smaller.

One of the reasons I'm feeling wiped out today is actually a good thing; while KE was in Drammen today getting a new motor for our little yellow boat, E and I walked up to the local grade school to go to the flea market there in support of the marching band. We had fun looking around, and we were both really excited to find a (fake) bunad for E to wear on Constitution Day:
The set consists of the knickers and vest pictured here, plus a white cotton shirt with lace at the wrists and neck. The shirt is size 152 (way big for E, who is 135 cm tall) but the rest is size 140 and fits him surprisingly well. He'll need a pair of suspenders to keep the knickers up (lean kid that he is) and I'll need to get him some knee socks and black shoes (and maybe a silk scarf?), but this is a big step in the right direction! He was really pleased too, and definitely wanted it. This evening he said that a bunad is much cooler than a "president drakt" ("president outfit," his phrase for a suit) since a bunad is "more old fashioned." He especially liked the fake watch chain (not pictured here) that goes on the vest, though he thought it would be cooler on the pants (?!). I had to sew one button back into place and fix one of the hooks that the watch chain attaches too, and then I gave the set a good wash in the machine (the material is some kind of synthetic blend). So stinkin' cute!

No comments: