Saturday, October 8, 2011

Belgfrukter

This week was høstferie, the fall break, so both KE and E were home. I had to teach Monday and Tuesday, and had full six (!) hours of lectures to attend on Friday. We're all three in various stages of getting over last week's colds, so our energy level was pretty low.

I was feeling a little adventurous cooking-wise, and ended up making two different legume stews that both turned out pretty good. No pictures, because no matter how good it tastes, I can't get gloppy stew to look good with my minimal photographic skills.

The first dish was with red lentils, onions, garlic, ginger (we've rediscovered ginger, and are using a lot), carrots and celery. I looked a little bit at this recipe while making it (I'd love to make the actual recipe someday, as it looks really good too).

The second dish was a black bean chili. This time I actually followed a recipe, and again was really happy with the result.  I used dried beans that I soaked for 24 hours, and I made the chili the day before we ate it. It too was really good. I ended up substituting paprika for chili powder (which we didn't have), but otherwise kept close to the recipe. I used lots of garlic in both recipes; KE has been pretty skeptical of garlic, but he appears to be coming around. He mentioned that now that we're eating way less meat, the strong tastes of spices and garlic are more appealing, kind of as a replacement for meat flavors. I've always loved garlic, so that's great news for me. The other good thing is that both these dishes were painlessly vegan. It's actually really easy to implement vegan cooking, at least for someone who is interested in exploring the world of legumes!

I've finished the first arm and started the second on the Ung høst pullover I've been working on. It will be fun to put all the parts on one circular needle and start the raglan decreases. Bottom-up raglan projects are so fun because the progress is really visible once you get to that phase.

No comments: