Saturday, July 23, 2011

Terror

I'm very shaken and disturbed by the terrorist acts perpetrated here in Norway yesterday, still trying to digest what has happened: The center of government was bombed, and over 80 teenagers and young adults at a Labor party summer camp were hunted down and killed by a man dressed in a police uniform while they tried to run, hide, or swim to safety. The alleged perpetrator--a 32 year old white male--has been arrested and charged. He appears to have been acting alone. Based on Internet forum posts at www.document.no he appears to have resented the new, "multicultural" Norway, though there's no way to know his exact motivations for these crimes.

We heard the bomb go off at around 3:25pm. KE and I were sitting together at the kitchen table and felt the house shake. We thought at first that someone in the neighborhood was using dynamite to blast a foundation in the bedrock, but there was no warning beeping, and the explosion lasted too long. I had been only a couple blocks from the site at 2:00pm, shopping with a friend.

No comments: