Monday, July 18, 2011

Impulsiv

Usually I'm pretty monogamous when it comes to knitting. I don't like to start new projects when I have one going, and I've really been enjoying working on the Still Light tunic. So why is it, then, that I rather sheepishly have to report that I cast on for a totally new project today?

I've been thinking a lot about both dresses and skirts, and there are many fun patterns on Ravelry. While browsing around I came across something called "Bulgarian knitted skirt"; it's a free Japanese pattern blogged here, though thankfully someone on Ravelry was generous enough to translate it to English. Not quite sure why this is considered Bulgarian? At any rate, it's a fabulously simple A-line pleated skirt knitted in fingering weight yarn--perfect for some of that yarn I bought in Denmark last summer. Somehow I can't feel guilty about wantonly casting on something new when it's yarn that I have on hand. Much better than ordering new yarn, which I confess I've been a little tempted to do recently.

Here's what the start looks like:

(The color should be greener than this. Couldn't adjust it to save my life.)  There's a hem (about 3/4 inch) at the top for an elastic waistband. Then you start in on 1x1 rib for 12 cm, followed by an increase row, followed by 2x2 ribbing, then another increase row followed by 3x3 ribbing, then finally another increase row followed by a section of 4x4 ribbing. No counting, no thinking, just acres and acres of ribbing.  So addicting.

I don't think I ever posted a picture of the needle holder ("nålhus") that I bought a few months ago for my darning needles. It has to be one of my all-time favorite purchases:
If you are a knitter with a bunch of darning needles stashed away in various places, but you can never find one, you really, really need one of these. I got mine at Husfliden in Oslo for about 65 kroner. Well worth it!

We worked inside this morning for a couple of reasons. E woke up vomiting again (poor guy!!! We're really stumped as to why he's had such stomach trouble this summer), and it was pouring rain. I started out by putting up shelving in our storage room ("bod"), and then later in the day KE took apart more of the kitchen in our bedroom (!) in preparation for installing closets (yes, we have no closets). Here's a shot of the "bod" (though I warn you, it's not much to look at):
The shelves to the right and the drawer unit are part of the former kitchen. Now we just have to organize all the stuff that will be going back in!

My Mom arrives at the end of the week for a short visit and we're all really excited to see her. It would be great if we can get some of these indoor projects taken care of by the time she gets here, though that may be overly ambitious.

No comments: