Thursday, June 2, 2011

Heklekant

Crochet sure is weirdly impressive. It really has the capacity to go just about any where, whereas knitting is much more controlled. I'm thinking about these differences because today is a holiday and so I took the opportunity to dig out one of my languishing projects and work on it a little on the patio in the sun this afternoon. It's the short jacket made out of the crazy variegated mohair yarn that a friend of mine in Eugene gave me last year. All the pieces were finished, so I sewed it together and started working on the crocheted ruffle edging:


Anyone who knows my tastes will know that I find this astoundingly ugly, but it's in fact so ugly that I might actually wear it (if I ever find the right thing to go with it, that is). I think the contrasting ruffle edging is either going to make or break it, but either way, it's amazing how much putting on even a little of the edging changes the look of the garment. Here's a close up:


This is crocheting three "dobbeltstaver" into each stitch of the first row of single crochet. The pattern calls for one more row (this time crocheting two into each stitch) to create the full ruffle. It's very easy and fun, really. I'm hooked (har har).

No comments: