So the iPad I ordered back in May finally arrived yesterday, and I have been fussing around with it ever since. Yesterday evening I was a little frustrated and disappointed, mainly because of how difficult the on screen keyboard made the interface. But while we were in the US I purchased a Logitech Zaggmate wireless keyboard, which I decided to test out this morning. What a huge difference it makes! Suddenly using the iPad works like a dream. I'm a pretty writing-intensive user, and I really can't imagine using the iPad without it, after only a day.
So far I've purchased two apps: an enhanced ebook (Jack Kerouac's On the Road as it happens) and GoodReader, for PDF annotation. I have also downloaded a couple of free apps, like KindleReader, iBooks, the British Library Collection, StoryKit, and the demo version of a game called Drawn. Didn't find the game very engaging. The verdict is still out on the two ebook libraries. Not sure I'll do much with StoryKit either, but the British Library Collection is a fabulous resource for electronic versions of 19th century British books. For example, there are enough travelogues on Norway in it to make the start of a research project.
No comments:
Post a Comment