Friday, January 28, 2011

Hektisk

This week felt so incredibly... "full," for lack of a better word. I felt like I was in high gear the whole time at work. It was a little unsettling and I'm not sure how long I can maintain this level of intensity.  I did feel that I did a good job where it mattered (feedback on contributor submissions for an article collection, lecture and discussion class, advising sessions, helping out colleagues), though I am having trouble getting the finishing touches on the Peer Gynt book completely finished. I really need to get that finished up on Monday. There's just too many other projects I need to turn my attention to.

This morning I spent a little bit of time working out my To-Do list for the spring semester. I realized that I was kind of floundering in relation to my research agenda. I typically have three documents tacked up on my bulletin board above my desk: 1) a list of my specific research/writing goals for the current term, 2) an outline of the book I'm working on long term (with page/word count goals and tallies), and 3) a cumulative list of all projects. On that list I  track the submission venue, when it's been submitted, when it's been revised, and when it's been published (right now there's an article on there that was originally drafted in 2003 that is still "forthcoming"!).

I find it super helpful to have these lists in view. It keeps me focused and realistic, and helps me plan my weeks. With luck, now that I have a new semester To-Do list and a new book-in-project outline I'll feel less frenetic. It was at least heartening that the book chapters I'll be writing contain lots of material that I've been working on in other contexts. It will be interesting to try to integrate all that disparate material into cohesive chapters.

With all this work frenzy, it feels like I've barely been at home, even though I have. I'm looking forward to a very slow weekend!

No comments: