Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Beslektet

I don't think I've yet mentioned that I'm taking another English course this term. I was super lucky to squeeze into a course on Multicultural American Literature. I totally love it, but what I really want to write about is just one book, Octavia E. Butler's Kindred from 1979. Although it's written for young adults (apparently) is is utterly gripping for adults too. It is the story of a contemporary African American woman who gets transported back and forth in time and space between the present (1976) in California and the past   (1819 and onward) on a slave plantation in Maryland where her ancestors lived.

If you haven't read it, you really should, especially (I have to add) if you're an American. I've never seen anything that does a better job of expressing the complexities and horror of our collective history regarding race and slavery. Wow. Just wow.

Family is on my mind right now for another reason: we're starting to plan a trip back to the US to visit family there. It will either be in April or June. Still working out the details. Can't wait!

The Placed Cable Aran pullover is finished blocking, and I wore it to work yesterday (and am wearing it again right now...).

 (Sorry for the distorted snapshot - I was leaning forward when the picture took itself...) I love it! I added at least six inches  to the length of the body. I also used the mattress stitch for the side seams and arm seams, which worked fabulously. I'm a convert to that technique. The end result is so tidy!

Now I'm at loose ends knitting-wise, finishing up a pair of socks for E while I wait for inspiration to hit. I have three four WIPs I could be working on, none of which is very appealing. What I really want to do is go out and buy new yarn, but I can't really do that.

No comments: