Today started out rainy and way too early with a bed-wetting accident (5:45 am), so none of us have been feeling our best. While valiantly washing the dishes, KE rather longingly asked if I had the energy to bake boller, everyone's favorite sweet snack here in Norway. E and I did it together, and it was probably our most successful co-baking adventure to date. We just used the recipe off the flour package:
You can't get any more basic than that--we didn't have enough sugar and were out of raisins, but they were still dangerously good. Here was the first batch:
KE and E ran around outside in the rain for a while until the buns were done, then we watched Jerry Seinfeld's Bee Movie and gorged ourselves.
Saturday is always pizza night at our house, so I roused myself from the sofa long enough to make a pizza dough too, so that's two yeast doughs in one day. Mine turned out yummy:
As you can see, I'm experimenting with the macro lens on my camera. The pizza combination is: spinach, onions, black olives, feta and norvegia cheeses. E didn't feel like having a pizza today, so I introduced him to a silly American food tradition, namely "Pigs in a Blanket." This was not something I ever remember having other than at camp one summer, but I thought it was worth giving it a try, since I had the dough all ready:
I think E thought it was a little weird and kind of pointless, but it entertained him for a couple of minutes, which was really the point.
This morning I finished knitting the front of the Silky Wool pullover and sewed the seams. Here's what it looks like unblocked:
I tried to get the collar started, but I'm afraid I couldn't decipher the French instructions for that. It's on hold while I figure out what to do. Instead, I started on one of the sleeves. I decided to do it in the round (magic loop technique) because that seems to go so much faster, and allows me to avoid extra seaming (even though I really don't mind that...). I'm not super excited about the project, and a little frustrated about the collar, since that's the most important design feature and the whole reason I chose this pattern. I do have a pdf of the Plain and Simple pullover (Veera Välimäki on Ravelry), which has the same type of collar, so I may just follow that instead.
What I'm really excited about is the fact that I finally made a decision about what yarn to use for the Alice Starmore Fulmar pullover, a project I've been anticipating and dreading for nearly a year now. I ended up ordering Jamieson & Smith 2 ply jumper weight yarn in color number 1295. It's super hard to tell what the actual color will end up being (kind of a gray-blue-green heather?), so I'm very anxious for the yarn to arrive in the mail! Here's a really pretty one someone knitted. I'm planning on altering the shaping pretty radically. First of all, I'm planning on knitting in the round and making it much more fitted. I'm definitely going to at least do set-in sleeves, and may even try to convert it to a raglan. This will be my major project of the year.
So yeah, a boring, lazy, relaxing, laid-back Saturday...





2 comments:
Be careful knitting in the round on this one. Cableknits can be very heavy - often sweaters are designed with seams, instead of in the round, because the seams provide structure for the weight of the sweater. Cables in the round are often so heavy they stretch longer and longer on your body. An option is to knit in the round and then crochet "seams" inside to provide stability.
You're totally right, of course (damn!), but I'm hoping that the fact that the sweater is in fingering weight yarn will offset the infamous cable sag. I'm also hoping that the light, springy 100% Shetland yarn will help too. Okay, I'm probably delusional, but humor me :)
Post a Comment