Monday, May 24, 2010

Brovann?

For some reason I wasn't very motivated to launch into knitting the front of the brown aran sweater, even though I'm pleased with the way the back turned out. I decided I needed a little mindless knitting as a break. I toyed around with a couple of different projects before I decided to go with my first project from Jared Flood's Made in Brooklyn. Even though Bridgewater has a very difficult knitted on border (well over 600 stitches around), the body of the shawl is plain garter stitch. I figured I could just work on that part, then put it aside for a while. I love it because you start by casting on one lonely stitch, then increase row by row all the way to 205, then decrease row by row all the way back down to one stitch again. No casting off at all--how totally cool.
So far I'm up to a little over 130 stitches. If you recognize the yarn, it's because I've tried knitting these three skeins of Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud (in the color called Stream) twice before, once as a Reversable Ribbed Cable Stole and once as a Whisper Cardigan. I ended up hating both of them. It may be that it's just the color that I'm not happy with. It's actually less intense and slightly darker than it looks on my screen right now (don't know about your screen, of course), but I'm discovering that I'm not as much of a fan of blue as I used to think. I do like how the lace weight yarn is knitting up in garter stitch on 3.75mm needles, though.

2 comments:

knitxx0r said...

Wow! I just started knitting Bridgewater, for the exact same reason! Well, I wasn't avoiding a project, just looking for good movie knitting. The border doesn't look so complicated. I look forward to seeing how it goes for you.

Kverulantinnen said...

Oh cool, another person working on this--good to know in case I run into trouble. Happy knitting, and be sure to check out gussie's version on Ravelry. Very inspiring, at least to me!