My, I'm getting all French all the sudden, what with knitting in French and all. How many times can you use "all" in a sentence?
It's finally really starting to feel like spring here. We are also starting to beat back the virus that has had us all feeling miserable. Today E went to preschool for the first time in over a week, and on the way to pick him up KE and I swung by the farm that sells gardening supplies here on Nesodden and bought grass seed (for the lower part of our yard that we cleared out last summer) and two rhododendron plants. I realized a while back that a garden isn't really a garden for me unless it has at least one rhododendron bush. Chalk that up to growing up in the Pacific Northwest, I guess.
Preschool also made it possible for me to get a bunch of work done without having to make the long trek into campus. I dusted off the article on the two classic children's books that has been on ice for over a month. It was a little hard to get back into the project, but at least I made a good start at it today. I always feel so much more optimistic about life in general when I'm getting writing done. Here's a visual representation:
It's probably just me, but I find this picture--or rather the juxtapositioning of two early twentieth century, right wing Norwegian children's books and Homi K. Bhabha's The Location of Culture--hilarious. Not sure if it's going to work, but I am using Bhabha to talk about the construction of national identity in these books. We'll see...
I can't believe I was so ambivalent about the Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool yarn for so long! It's knitting up really nicely, and I'm discovering that I love the color. I thought it was more of a navy, but now that I have it out in the light it's a much richer, more muted indigo than I thought:
This picture is too dark, and the next one is too light:
It's somewhere in between, but my woeful camera skills aren't up to the challenge of capturing it. Regardless, I like it a lot, and have some hope that this will be a wearable finished product.
ETA: the cat's out of the bag now, and the recipient has received it, so I can finally reveal this year's best gag gift, the OS-mössa, OL-lue, or Swedish Olympics Toque in all its (oversized) glory:
I must have a weird sense of humor because I find this totally hilarious on all kinds of levels. Why do I find crochet so funny? I totally screwed this up by using the wrong size crochet hook. It is the size of a large purse. The colors are, as Grannie used to say, as ugly as home made sin. The two skeins of blue yarn that I used are different dye lots and they totally don't match. But it makes me gleefully happy, and I especially find it funny to think of the poor guy I made it for opening the package and thinking "WTF?!" and then being mortified at the thought of having to wear it in public some time. Hehehe.




No comments:
Post a Comment