Sunday, April 4, 2010

Oppstandelse

It rained nearly all of Easter break, which turns out to be a wonderful thing: the snow is nearly all gone! I'm tickled pink. And I'm even more delighted by the fact that the sun came out over the weekend. We have had a nice Easter Sunday afternoon together with E's buddy A and his parents. All six of us took a walk down to Hellviktangen. The boys played soccer on the grass and we had a late lunch at the organic restaurant there. Very early in the morning we did a truncated egg hunt. I think E was pretty disappointed. Clearly we'll have to up the ante next year.

I have another cavalcade of photos (well, okay, only five) to share. To my mind, this first one is just plain thrilling:

These crocuses are from our yard! And they're blooming! These are our first flowers of the year, and I can't express what a relief and joy it is to see them.

KE got a little bit of cabin fever with all the rainy days (and having both E and me at home all day for days on end), so on the first break in the clouds he went out to split some logs. I caught our copper wood bin (a garage sale purchase that we hauled all the way from Eugene) filled with newly split birch fir in the late afternoon sun. I thought it was lovely:

Less aesthetically pleasing, but satisfying in its own right is the progress I'm making on the Marius pullover. A few days back I discovered that I had messed up on the first sleeve on Miss Honeychurch II. That was just enough resistance for me to put the project in timeout and cast on for the Marius pullover instead. I'm about 25 cm into the body:


Unfortunately the moss stitch edge is flipping up. That ball of yarn is strategically placed in the photo to keep it down. Then there's this year's Easter decorations. And yes, I consider sudoku and the Easter edition of Se og Hør to be a part of my Easter ritual (check it out, this year it's a yet another special issue on celebrity cabins!):


The keen eye will recognize that this still life is almost identical to my Easter photograph from last year. Same knitted eggs and similar birch switches. The new additions are the dyed eggs, which E made in preschool this year, and a bright yellow candle. Hey, what can I say, I'm an underachiever when it comes to seasonal decorating (unlike Kristina, I might add!). I'm totally okay with that. And I think my little kitchen corner is a pretty decent spot, all things considered:

I can't get over how big E's footprint is in the calendar he made in preschool--that really is a print of his foot. The table is obviously too big for the corner. I've been wanting to switch back to the smaller oak table we currently have in our bedroom, but it will probably be a while. We did get a couple of small things taken care of in the past few days: the extra coat/hat rack we bought a few weeks back is now up in the hall, and I planted KE's newest houseplant in the new pot I bought a couple of weeks ago. And, rather unusually, I dusted and vacuumed a bit this morning too. Stranger things have happened, but not many...

Happy Secular Easter!

No comments: