Thursday, February 4, 2010

Ting jeg liker i Norge, del 2

Last year in the exuberance of the relocation I posted a list of 10 things I liked about Norway. It's about time for part two, roughly a year later.

1. Anne-Cath Vestly: since I didn't grow up here I really wasn't familiar with her children's stories until E's cousin M gave him a set of audio books for Christmas. They're great. I particularly like the way she explains the way things were in the old days on the audio book version of Ole Aleksander Filli-bom-bom-bom that we have. The music and singing are wonderful too.

2. What I guess might be described as "wholesome" reality tv. NRK has a bunch of these shows, from the classically dorky to the inspiring. Here is a list of my favorites:
  • Der ingen skulle tru at nokon kunne bu: a show about people who live in incredibly isolated places
  • Norge rundt: a show about Norwegian nerds and their hobbies and idiosyncrasies.
  • Norsk attraksjon: a hilarious show in which wild woman Linda Eide ferrets out the wackiest tourist attractions and debunks myths about Norwegian culture.
  • Bygdeliv: a show about people who have moved out to the country and are trying to make a new life.
3. Nidar's Bocca dark chocolate: Forget Kvikk lunsj! Since my teeth have become so sensitive this is the only candy that doesn't make them ache.

4. Melodi Grand Prix: technically this isn't just Norwegian, but I would be able to enjoy this so fully if I weren't living here. Technically it's called the Eurovision Song Contest, but the Norwegians had to give it their own name. Can't wait for the Norwegian final tomorrow night. As Knut Nærum said on Nytt på nytt tonight (more or less), "Norwegians, please vote for the worst entry possible so that we don't have to host this again!" I'm "holding a button" on the black metal band.

5. Handknits in winter: The only good thing about my commute (besides the ferry) is all the great handknit spotting. The other day I saw the most wonderful grass green pullover. Today a brilliant toque in shade of magenta, red, and violet to coordinate with a purple down coat. I see sweaters, hats, mittens, and scarves all over the place.

6. Pine paneling. Like in our house. Clean and simple.

7. Surkål (sauerkraut) for Christmas dinner: Handmade.

8. Socialism: What can I say, I'm a pinko and right now watching the train wreck in US healthcare, I'm feeling pretty darned smug.

9. Flytoget (the airport express train): This is probably the one luxury that I regularly and gladly spring for. It's the best part of any trip that includes air travel.

10. Simple and functional (and relatively new) office furniture. Like this:

(That's literary cabin central, for the uninitiated, with a nice view of the Ivar Aasen courtyard)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoah! I love this list! Especially Der ingen kunne tru at nokon kunne bu and the other tv tips. I just watched the last episode and loved it. And love that I can watch it online. I occasionally try to watch Norwegian tv and just can't find a program I like, so it's great to have your top picks list. Hurray! Yippee!