Thursday, April 23, 2009

Juhuu!

Lots of good news to report today:

1. I finished knitting the reversible cable stole. Finished knitting it. That's right. Just a few ends to weave in. I thought it would never happen. I'm too afraid to block it, so I'm letting it sit for a couple of days. I may try on Saturday, if the weather is still sunny.

2. Yesterday I think I finally got over the worst hurdles in finishing the Erlend Loe article. I reread Roland Barthes' "La mort de l'Auteur" in English and Norwegian and was able to deal with the criticism of my use of Barthes in the earlier draft. I was interested to see that the two translations were quite different. Through the suggestion of a colleague I was able to email the Norwegian translator, who is a professor here at UiO, with some questions and he responded right away. And then I got up the nerve to ask another friend who is a great critical reader to proofread, and she agreed (waving to Anne!). That's a huge relief, and now I feel pretty confident that I'll have a defensible article pulled together to submit by the end of next week.

3. I also got positive feedback yesterday from a colleague on the paper I'm going to deliver next week at the SASS conference. I'm starting to get excited about the conference. The paper is the one on Ibsen's Når vi døde vågner. I look at four productions from the Norwegian National Theatre and compare the scenography to Ibsen's original stage directions.

4. The same colleague gave me good advice on my class for tomorrow. I was lamenting the fact that I couldn't get a discussion going last week on Kierlighed uden Strømper, and she suggested that I send out an email stating that we'll spend this week's class doing text analysis in groups. I am so glad - I was apprehensive about breaking out of the straight lecture mode, since that's what's standard here. It's good to know that I can change the format when necessary, and am looking forward to both the text analysis and the "meta" discussion of how we talk about literature analysis (they're going to have oral exams, so they need to develop some discourse skills).

5. I got my annual spring haircut today at the local hairdresser, Alfakrøll (good name), and I really like it! It's a longish bob that flips up a little at the back.


6. I just found out that I did not get elected vice president of my national professional organization. That would have been a PITA. I had to email someone and ask, which is a bit of a pain, but I wanted to know before the conference, since it would influence what I pack (now I don't have to stress out about trying to pull together impeccably professional clothes, and can just go semi-professional at the conference).

7. The weather is glorious and the yard is filled with green growth. Buds everywhere!

8. I started re-knitting my failed green cardigan. I have found another pattern that calls for the same weight of yarn. I'm just knitting directly from the pieces of the old work:


Not sure if it's "kosher" to do that, but I figure all the unevenness will come out when I wash the new sweater.

2 comments:

Anne, Leighton and Lilly said...

cute hair cut!

Anne, Leighton and Lilly said...

and I can attest to the quality of the Loe article.