Sunday, July 11, 2010

Turistbilder

Wow! Check out the amazing photographs that the Library of Congress has made available on Flickr. I did a search for Norway, and found this spectacular set of old tourist photos. I'm completely enamored! Here's a shot of Prekestolen from the 1890s, for example:

[Praekestolen, Geiranger Fjord, Norway] (LOC)

Such lovely coloration! And here's the famous tourist hotel at Stalheim:

[Stalheim Hotel and Naerodalen, Hardanger Fjord, Norway] (LOC)

And then a photograph of Tromsø in around 1890.

[Tromsø, with Tromstind, Troms, Norway] (LOC)

This may well be the image for the cover of my Cora Sandel book. By the way--can't believe I didn't mention this right away--on Friday I got a letter from Norges forskningsråd telling me that they have granted me the publication support money I had applied for back in February! I'm thrilled, as funding was the only thing keeping the book from coming out. I was very proud to read their consultant's review of the book--it made me feel like it really is a good academic book that is worthy of publication.

1 comment:

The Momma said...

So very many congratulations to you!!!