Monday, August 31, 2009

Setrer

Yippee! Today I did some digging around and found some poems about setrer (shielings or high mountain dairies) by Edvard Storm dating from around 1770. They are the earliest texts that I've found so far, and they are sort of precursors to the cabin literature that I'm really focusing on. The good thing is, I totally think I can write an article about them and that will kill two birds with one stone: they are "early modern" and border on folkediktning (although not technically actually folk poetry they are written in dialect and depict rural life, so they are in tension with true folk poetry)--both categories that are on the list of desired competencies for the next permanent position that will open up (someday) in my department.

I am almost done with Francis Recycled, after basically knitting it three times. I had a lot of trouble getting gauge. I should easily finish it this evening, assuming nothing weird happens.

ETA: I did finish Francis Recycled, but as expected I'm not happy with the three-quarter arms. They make no sense to me. Why have chilly arms while wearing a thick, warm winter sweater?? Since it's top down and since I have lots of yarn left, it will be easy to make them into full length sleeves. Tomorrow.

No comments: