1. Eurovision Song Contest: Much to my surprise, Norway actually won the entire competition. It was quite a smashing victory, with the highest point sum ever scored. I'm still a bit perplexed as to why that particular song appealed so broadly, but whatever, it was fun to watch all the hoopla.
2. Syttende mai: Sunday was the Norwegian constitution day, and we had a lovely time. We watched and marched in the local children's parade, went to festivities at the local Steiner school (we took the opportunity to check out the atmosphere there, rather than at the regular school, since we're considering sending E there when he starts school in a couple of years), and then went to a really nice party at E's best friend A's house. We met and talked with a whole bunch of people. The weather was spectactular, and they heated up their hot tub (with a wood stove) for the kids to play in. Very nice. My favorite snapshot from the day was this woman with a national costume and dredlocks:

3. Sweater number six for the year is done (the reknit of sweater number two), and I'm very happy with the result:

4. I've started on sweater number seven, the "Whisper Cardigan" from Interweave Knits Spring 2009 issue. I'm using the Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud yarn that I ordered without knowing what I was going to do with it right before we moved. It's nice to find an appropriate project, since I'm still not quite there on the whole lace knitting thing. Interested, but just not ready to dive into a lace shawl yet. Of course my friend T just emailed me a really wonderful pattern for a garter stitch laceweight shawl with a lace ruffle that I'm seriously considering making... Here's the first sleeve for the Whisper:

5. Archives! Today I went to the Norwegian National Theatre archives for the first time ever. It was great. I found all sorts of relevant stuff in the material for the seven Når vi døde vågner productions that they've staged. I'm starting to see my article on the productions take shape, and an end is definitely in sight.
6. Yesterday I had a really long day, with interviewing two candidates for a PhD position here and doing an hour-and-a-half MA exam for a student back in the States by phone. In between I got a start on the paper for the NorLit conference on Erlend Loe's Volvo Lastvagnar.
So, all in all there's a lot going on right now. E continues to develop and change with leaps and bounds. Still very stubborn, very needy, but gaining lots of independence.
No comments:
Post a Comment