Sunday, January 25, 2009

Gensere!

In the last two days I finished off two sweaters--yippeee! First up was the ribbed cowl neck sweater that I knit for the January installation of the NaKniSweMoDo09:

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, all things considered. Unfortunately, I had to re-learn the lesson that I hate knitting with superwash yarn. It is treated in some weird way that makes it possible to wash in the machine, but it loses most of the qualities I love about untreated wool. But the color is great, and the fit seems pretty good. It's DK weight, which feels really heavy to me. I can't understand how people regularly make sweaters in worsted and bulky weights. They must be lizards! At any rate, I now have a really warm sweater that is tailored enough that I can wear it to work on the coldest days. (Check out the ill-fitting stove behind me. I'm making rice porridge for Sunday dinner, if you're wondering)

Next up was the stripy "kitchen sink" sweater I started for E back in August. All it lacked was sleeves, so it went super fast:

It's way too big for him of course, but I presume he'll grow into it at some point or another. All in all a great way to use up leftovers. It has a turtleneck, which I think looks pretty sharp. That, the yoke, and the plain black sleeves tie together the randomness of the stripes nicely, if I do say so myself.

No comments: