My guy got elected, in case you hadn't heard. And even before he takes office, I'm starting to feel leery. A friend just posted a link to this commentary on Facebook, and it gave me a sinking feeling to read it. It's a pretty biting criticism of Obama's ideological positioning.
Looking back, I think I got swept up in the same hysteria as everyone else: Obama has the extraordinary ability to absorb whatever hopes and aspirations people from all points on the political spectrum project onto him. I actually thought he was a leftist. That is really demoralizing, because more than anything it means that I bought the anti-Obama republican propaganda.
So, as Obama's cabinent and policies start to take shape, this leaves me back where I always am: in the eternal opposition...
Maybe I actually really am a kverulant (a "curmudgeon" for the non-Norwegian speakers). And becoming more of one. I was at a meeting yesterday with really delightful colleagues from across campus. We were evaluating and ranking fellowship applications. The discussion was earnest, collegial, and serious. Yet I find that I have absolutely no patience. I was short, interrupted people, and was cranky. I had no earthly reason to be that way. For some reason, perhaps because I'm so out of practice in social interactions in general, I'm having a really hard time behaving myself. I'm not really sure when I turned into such a misanthrope. I think I used to have more social skills. Now people just get on my nerves. This is ridiculous! I really need to get my act together, especially as I enter a new job setting in a temporary position.
1 comment:
but we love you just the way you are! :)
Post a Comment