Saturday, January 21, 2012

Alle gode ting er tre...

Third time's a charm, right? I've been trying for months and months to make a longish sweater/tunic out of fourteen skeins of charcoal gray Garnstudio Drops Alpaca yarn, and failing miserably. I initially bought the yarn to make a cabled turtleneck from one of my ancient Vogue Knitting magazines:


The yarn was way too dark to do justice to so many fussy cables, so I frogged the project and started in on the very popular Still Light tunic:

I actually came really close to finishing this (just one arm to go), but a nagging voice in my head kept telling me that the style wasn't right for my figure at all, so it's been stashed away in time out for a long time. Recently, I decided to make a clean sweep of it, and just frog the whole thing. Rather merciless, don't you think? My latest plan is to make a monochromatic zigzag dress (without the stripes, obviously, but with the same texture):

So far I'm really liking it. It's addicting to knit in the same way the Bulgarian Pleated Skirt from this summer was. I'm not sure if I have enough yarn, but I think it will be okay to use a different dyelot.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention another smaller project that I'm not totally happy with. I was trying to use up some magenta (!) yarn someone gave me, and came up with this little girl's cardigan (Ravelry link), which I plan to give to the daughter of a friend:

I'm actually finished with the knitting, but got a little demoralized because I ran out of yarn only two rows into the six-row bottom edging, so it curls. All I need to do is sew in ends, block, and find buttons for it. Maybe the blocking will help with the curling bottom edge? It's kind of cute, no? But totally not my cup of tea.

So I guess the good thing about all this is that I am knitting again, but still kind of bumbling along, without much success other than the Selbu mittens.

No comments: