I'm back from a two day retreat, and back to this blog, after my brief fling with 30 Pages in 30 Days (which ended up being 35 pages in 22 days). The retreat was very nearly perfect. I was literally the only overnight guest at a fairly posh conference hotel high up in the woods above Oslo. Here's what the bustling dining room looked like at breakfast from my alpha position in the corner:
It was like that at every meal, except for Tuesday's lunch, when there was a group of five people who were having a meeting.
It was totally quiet up there among the trees. All I did was sit in my room and work on my book. I arrived on Monday at around 2 pm, and by the time I started packing my bags at 10 am on Wednesday I had written over 5000 words. As I was putting in my last mid-morning stretch of work today I was greeted by this rather astounding glimpse of the sun streaming through my window:
That haze down in the valley below the trees is Oslo. I think this is one of the most productive and satisfying things I've ever done. It was a shock taking the subway back down into the city center. Suddenly there was so much noise! But having said that, it was definitely good to come home to the boys, who seem to have survived just fine without me.
I think the book is going to be pretty interesting. There are still a few things that need work, but basically it is done. It's hard to believe that I actually accomplished this. The book seemed like a crazy idea when I came up with it back in August or September or whenever it was, though I did have a gut feeling I could pull it off. It was hands down the most fun I've ever had with an academic project. Having done this, I can now envision actually getting the cabin book written as well. I don't know why I got myself so worked up over that one. I just need to sit down and start working on it bit by bit like I did with this one. Is it pompous to say that I feel really proud of myself for completing the manuscript on my third scholarly book?
Now I can take some time off to relax with the family over Christmas. I don't think I would have been able to do that if I hadn't had the retreat and gotten the book out of my system...
Merry Christmas!


No comments:
Post a Comment