Sunday, November 21, 2010

Småplukk

This past week has been filled with many small projects. It's fun to finally have some finished objects to show, but I am a bit bummed that I'm not getting anywhere with any larger projects. I think my knitting is definitely in a lackluster period this fall. I'm hoping that's because I'm channeling my creative energy into the Peer Gynt book instead. So, with apologies for being really boring, here are three finished objects:

First out is four crocheted washcloths/dishrags from Tove Fevang's Helt enkel hekling:


These were crocheted in a mad dash to get something together for E's school's Christmas Market (which was yesterday). I had originally hoped that the three of us could make tie dyed t-shirts together as a family project, but it turned out that the materials were just outrageously expensive here in Norway. I don't mind spending money to support the school, but this would have probably been about $75 for the supplies, and I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much. I'm happy with the substitute project: I learned how to crochet a piqué edge (easy!) and used up the rest of the yarn left over from a thrift store harvest. I really like Tove Fevang's patterns from this book, and it was a good reminder that there are still lots of things I'd like to make from it.

Next up was a pair of fingerless mitts that I knitted for myself:


I used the Rauma Inca alpakkagarn that I bought last year for something else that didn't end up working out. The pattern is from a Rauma Design pamphlet called Alpakka 1. It's supposed to be striped, but I just wanted something plain and simple to wear when I'm typing in my campus office. Although most public buildings are overheated in Norway, for some reason my office gets really chilly. It will be nice to have these at hand when my hands get cold and stiff.

The last thing I finished this week was a gift for my official mentor:


I didn't dare make anything other than the plainest of manly toques for him. I used Marks & Kattens Eco Ull for the first time. It's a single ply Aran weight yarn, and I must say I liked it a lot. I ended up using just a tiny bit of the third ball I bought, which is always a little irritating. I'm now wondering what I can use it for. The pattern is Cheryl Niamath's Zissou, which I've knit twice before (both for KE).

I had been hoping that I could report that I was finished with the second arm of the Rib-o-rama pullover too, but I'm not quite there yet. I should finish it by the end of today, though, and then start picking up the stitches for the body. I can't believe how slowly that project has been going, even when I do actually pick it up and knit on it.

No comments: