Finally some FOs! Nothing exciting, really, but it is nice to have projects that are totally completed, with no ends to darn or seams to sew. I had a small goal of finishing up these two sweaters for E before school starts for him, which happens in two days! First up is something I've posted before, the striped sweater from reclaimed yarn:
There were a surprising number of ends to darn, but even so it just took me a few minutes to finish. Why I waited so long I'll never know. I gave it a really thorough washing and soaking, and it feels so much softer than before, even though I had washed the sweaters when I first bought them.
Then there's the "hippy" sweater out of the variegated Gotland yarn. I hadn't bargained for the incredible bias that knitting with two singles together would create. The sweater is basically diagonal, and it was impossible to block so that the raglan and sleeve seams lined up. I hope it's wearable!!
I had to knit both arms and the neck twice due to bad planning. I started out wanting to make a turtleneck, but I think the yarn is too scratchy for that, so I went with a crew neck instead. I started out making both the neck and the arms too narrow. Unbelievably, I still have a whole bunch of the yarn left--maybe even enough for a toque.
Now I'm at loose ends again. The Bridewater shawl is still in time out, though I was almost tempted to pull it out today and try picking up stitches again. Not tempted enough to actually do it, I'm afraid... I also pulled out the oversized tweed aran sweater that I started earlier this summer. I looked at it a while, but I'm not sure I'm ready to work on it. The though of starting on Fulmar is too overwhelming. What I really want to start on is a fair isle pattern called Lissuin (Ravelry link here). I have to set up a Paypal account in order to get the pattern though, and right now that's just enough resistance to keep me from doing it. Maybe this evening? What I like about the pattern is that it's entirely seamless. The neckline is too low for me, but I think I could adjust it. It's done with a steek, which I'm okay with. The best thing is that I think the colors I bought in Denmark will be absolutely perfect for it. We'll see...
I was browsing some internet discussion where Martha Stewart's basement came up. The person provided a link, and of course I had to check it out. Wow. That is a ridiculously organized and sunny basement. I'm really not sure what to think about it, but I find myself strangely fascinated. I also have to mention that Alicia Paulson has finally finished her studio remodel, which is big news in the crafty blogosphere. You can really see the Carl Larsson influence. She is a huge fan of IKEA, which is a little hard for me to get past. I've seen those pieces of furniture so many times here in Norway, but I can see how they seem unique in the US. But I do really like how consistent and comprehensive her aesthetic is (and I love the wall color), even though my taste is more drab and minimalist.
KE and I are having an end of summer dust up. I think this is a cyclical thing. I don't think we function very well as a family when things are too unstructured. I'm having a hard time learning that, since I have always been such a self-motivated and structured person on my own. It will be exciting to see how things change this week when E starts first grade and KE starts his year long pedagogical training course. I start back with teaching the following week.


No comments:
Post a Comment